Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Update on Literary Journalism Assignment

As of today, I am currently done with my interview and in the process of typing out my rough draft. I have made it to the third page of my draft, and getting into the core of my interviewee’s story. I finished the background story that paves a way for the core of the interview. In terms of the interview itself, it went great given that I was starting to doubt if my interviewee was going to turn down my assignment. I ran into complications when I asked Andrew to take part in this interview assignment. I realized that the interview might cause Andrew to remember past afflictions or memories of his service, and it could potentially set off more night terrors or P.T.S.D. related episodes. He personally suggested of thinking about it for a couple weeks, and I agreed on him pondering about it. However, as the weeks passed, I did not receive a response until recently. Even then, I had the biggest fear of losing him as my potential interviewee. Now that I have completed the interview, I feel more at ease and ready to tackle this assignment. My favorite part of this assignment was the fact that we had a taste of what journalists encounter. We had the honor to hear a person’s story and tell their memory. That to me is actually incredible since they are in a sense handing over their memory for us to understand more or less what they experienced. By telling their story we as Humcore students are acknowledging their triumphs and sharing them to the world. My least favorite part of this project was the fact that we had to find secondary sources and incorporate them into our narratives. By all means, I understand why we must have them, however, I would have preferred just a simple narrative assignment telling our interviewee’s story. But overall, I am pleased to partake in this literary journalism assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment